May sound crazy but the bathrooms in our new studio space are BIG and the blank white spaces are begging for art. As I started making decorating decisions I knew I wanted to do something FUN and unusual. If the rest of the studio is filled with bold color and art, then why not the bathrooms? Then while browsing Pinterest I stumbled upon a really whimsical & fun altered paintbrush by artist Mindy Lacefield.
I knew immediately what I wanted to see the large blank walls filled with brushes like hers.
Then I thought, “that is a hell of a lot of paintbrushes.” So that’s when I decided to contact Mindy as well as call on my artist friends to help me start off this collaboration and I sent each of them a plain wooden brush. Now as I have started to get some of the the brushes back I am gobsmacked. The brushes are PURE ART and I am overjoyed to share the first ones returned with you today.
brush by tejae floyde
brush by tracie lampie
brush by julie fei fan balzer
my brush (like i had to even tell you right? lol!)
But then I thought, that’s not going to fill the walls, what if I made this a global collaboration? it would be really fun to not only invite my artist friends, but also the general public. So that a small piece of creative goodness from across the globe could be a part of the shared creative experience (in the toilet, lol)
So we are taking The Altered Brush Project global!
"The Altered Brush Project"
display your creativity, market your skills, join the art collaboration and own a place in the studio.
- Purchase one of our brushes & a spot on our wall. For your purchase you will receive one of our unfinished paintbrushes, space to display your altered brush and market yourself in the studio (price includes the cost of shipping).
- Alter the brush anyway your creative spirit takes you. They can be as simple or elaborate as you like NOTE: do not obstruct the hole in the handle so that it can be hung on the wall
- Sign and date the back of the brush giving it your artists’ signature!
- Attach your personal calling card (business card size) with any information about yourself you feel comfortable sharing that hangs through the hole in the brush handle
- Mail or return the brush to the studio:
donna downey studios
501 s old statesville rd.
huntersville, nc 28078
i will share pictures of every brush we get back and how they look on the walls as the collaborative art installation grows!
Join "the Altered Brush Project" collaboration TODAY!!